Interested in becoming a VT lottery Agent?
Why sell Vermont Lottery tickets?
Did you know that:
- There is no up-front cost of Instant Scratch ticket inventory.
- Instant products are 100% guaranteed – we can and will give credit for any instant product that does not sell and is returned to the Vermont Lottery.
- The National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS) study rates Instant Scratch tickets as one of the highest impulse items and shows that they actually increase the purchase of other items.
- Lottery tickets draw Customers - many lottery players report doing their convenience shopping based on where they can acquire tickets.
- Per linear square foot, lottery tickets are one of the most profitable items in stores.
- Commissions on Instant Scratch tickets sales are 5.75%, and 5.75%-6% on terminal games.
- In 2013, our top 5 lottery Agents earned between $28,200 and $33,900 in commissions.
Return to Top
What the Vermont Lottery will offer:
Return to Top
- A Lottery terminal and communications system at no cost
- An inventory of Instant Scratch tickets
- Free on-counter Instant ticket display
- Regular financial statements
- Indoor/outdoor point-of-sale
- Bi-weekly visits from a Vermont Lottery Representative
- Training for clerks
- Promotional items for special events (grand openings, anniversaries, etc.)
About our Vermont Lottery Agents
The Vermont Lottery has approximately 700 licensed lottery sales agents throughout the state. All of these agents are licensed to sell Powerball®, Mega Millions®, Tri-State Megabucks Plus®, Lucky for LifeTM, Tri-State Gimme 5, Tri-State Pick 3, Tri-State Pick 4, Fast Play, Fast Play Pro and Instant Scratch tickets. Touch Play agents are licensed to sell online games, including Touch Play, only.
Starting September 27, 1998, lottery agents received a 5.75% commission on all Tri-State and Fast Play ticket sales and starting November 21, 1998 agents received a 5.75% commission on Instant Scratch ticket sales. This is an increase from the 5% commission that agents received since the Lottery's inception. Agents receive a 6% commission on all Powerball® and Mega Millions® and Lucky for LifeTM sales. Agents also get a 1% bonus for selling a winning ticket of $500 or more (capped at $30,000 bonus) when the ticket is claimed.
Licensed locations include grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants, taverns, chain stores, redemption centers, and drug stores.
Return to Top
How to Become a Vermont Lottery Agent
1. Request an application from the Vermont Lottery by calling 1-800-322-8800 (in Vermont only) or 1-802-479-5686, by writing the Vermont Lottery Commission, 1311 US Route 302, Suite 100, Barre, VT 05641 or by an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. The application packet will include the following material:
- On-line terminal policy
- Application form
- Agreement and Consent forms
- W-9 Taxpayer Identification form
- Authorization form for electronic fund transfers
- Vermont Lottery Rules and Regulations
- Vermont Lottery Statute
3. Be sure to complete all portions of the application and affix your signature where required on all forms. A refundable $250 deposit and $15 license fee must be submitted with the application.
4. When the application is received, a representative from the Lottery Office will be assigned to conduct an on-site evaluation to determine if the business should be licensed as a Lottery Agent.
5. After the application is approved by the Executive Director, notification will be sent to the applicant. The Lottery will have a communication system installed. Terminal installation and on-site training will be provided by our gaming vendor. The agent is required to provide a dedicated, quad-plex electrical outlet within 6 feet of where the terminal will be located. Terminal installation will take place approximately 2-4 weeks from the date a license is approved. An inventory of Instant Scratch tickets will be issued and delivered to the agent prior to training.
6. A Lottery representative will deliver the license and review Lottery policies and procedures. The Lottery representative will also provide ticket dispensers, signage and other point-of-sale items.
Return to Top