Positions listed below are currently open.
VERMONT LOTTERY SEEKS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
We are in search of a creative and strategic thinker to provide responsible leadership to the team at the Vermont Lottery. The preferred candidate will have a demonstrated track record of collaborative and inclusive leadership in operational planning and execution and will have practical experience in marketing, budgeting, public relations, compliance management and community relations. The Executive Director will coordinate the efforts of a diverse support and oversight team comprised of staff, vendors, retailers, associations and government agencies. The Vermont Lottery generates over $120 million annually in sales with profits supporting the Vermont Education Fund, while strongly communicating the importance of responsible gaming. The Executive Director is appointed by the Vermont Lottery Commission and serves at its discretion as an employee of the State of Vermont. The Vermont Lottery is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as Executive Director of the team responsible for carrying out lottery operations. The right candidate will possess a variety of skills including:
- Creative, collaborative and inclusive leadership skills
- Critical and strategic thinker
- Excellent communication skills
- Sales and marketing knowledge
- Accounting, finance and budgeting abilities
- Staff supervision and leadership skills
- Compliance management
- Public speaking
- Public relations
- Ability to work within the structure of a state agency
The Executive Director oversees and is responsible for:
- Strategic and operational responsibilities for programs and product growth
- Execution of the Lottery’s Mission
- Providing testimony before the appropriate House and Senate committees as necessary
- Budget preparation and implementation
- Directing, supervising and evaluating staff
- Relationship management of vendors, industry associations, advertising agencies and public relations
- Core programs, operations and business planning
Range commensurate with experience: $85,154 - $106,443
Mission and Governance:
The Vermont Lottery remains committed to contributing all proceeds to the Education Fund, while also strongly communicating the importance of responsible gaming. The Lottery has been a successful enterprise for almost 40 years with annual gross sales of $120 million and net profits dedicated to the Vermont Education Fund. The operating budget is approximately $3 million and there are 21 full time employees.
The lottery has a five-member commission appointed by the Governor that is responsible for all activities. The Executive Director is appointed by the Commission and serves at its discretion. Two previous E.D.s served for 13 and 4 years respectively.
The Executive Director is responsible for ensuring compliance with rules and regulations governing the Lottery, its national counterparts and cooperators.
The Executive Director serves as a liaison to the Vermont public, Vermont Legislature and media.
- Education: BS or BA degree in business administration or equally relevant discipline is required
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years of management of a complex institution or business
- Duties are performed largely in a standard office setting
- There is a need for public appearances and liaison with over 700 outlets licensed throughout the state of Vermont
- Vermont is a member of the TriState Lotto commission
- Some travel is involved
- The State of Vermont and the Vermont Lottery are an equal opportunity employer
- Tax Compliance: In accordance with 32 V.S.A Section3113(i) when an applicant for State employment is determined to be a finalist for a position, he/she will be provided an affidavit to sign attesting that he/she is in good standing with respect to all Vermont taxes due as of that date. The applicant’s tax compliance will be verified with the Vermont Tax Department prior to extending any offer of employment. For additional information, please see Personnel Policy 12.12 – Tax Compliance.
How to apply:
Resumes will be accepted through April 18, 2017.
You are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter in Word or PDF format, describing your interest in the position. All submissions must be done electronically. (Materials that are not submitted electronically will not be considered.)
Please include names and contact information of three business and/or personal contacts that we may contact as references.
Email submissions to VLC.Jobs@vermont.gov